Thursday, August 03, 2006

New Doctor

Doctor visit went awesome! We loved him. The nurse that helped us was very nice too. We got to do another sonogram. I had complained of some lower abdominal cramping and to verify it was just bladder pressure, he wanted another sono done. So we got to see our baby boy again! And the sono tech was super sweet too! She gave us quite the tour. Showed us all the things they look for as signs of problems and that he had none! What a relief. And the cutest thing was he was napping again and had his little hand up by his face - again! It’ll be so cool to see if he does that after he’s born. I’ll have to get pictures of him sleeping with his hand on his face!

The doctor was such a neat guy though. Apparently he’s a Catholic and pretty involved in his church. A lot of his patients are from his church and have huge families. When I told him it was very important to me to have a natural child birth, he said I’d come to the right place! Due to the size of the families around the area that go to that hospital, they try to avoid c-sections unless absolutely necessary so the women can have tons of kids. I was thrilled. So was Andy! After the bad first experience in there with them unable to work with the insurance, Andy was a bit burned. He was a little gun shy about going back in and facing them. But after meeting the doc, he couldn’t be happier!

The baby does have his head resting directly on my bladder so that would explain the pains and how they are relieved when I urinate. But lately I think I’ve added gas pains to my troubles! Sorry to share so much info, but let me tell you, it was much nicer for me when the problem was I had gas coming OUT all the time! Now that it seems to be stuck inside, the pains are horrendous! Although Andy might not mind it too much this way! It does make it hard for me to drink water like I should. I try but when it hurts every time I have to pee, I’m not interested in making myself have to go more often. I am getting enough though so don’t worry. AT least it’s funny to see me get up and go to the bathroom because I am usually in too much pain to stand up straight and the waddle gets worse. The good news is that due to this new development in pain, the pain in my hip has subsided! See folks, there’s always an upside.

The baby was estimated at a weight of over 4 pounds from the sonogram. I know those things aren’t always completely accurate, but it sure feels like he weighs that much! The strange thing is, I have gained 35 pounds. Hmmmm. That doesn’t add up to me! I know my weight is fine. I am big, but I’m all belly and boobs. It is getting difficult to fit around things I used to have no problem with. I have to be very cautious of it. The other day I was putting gas in the car and parked to close to the pump. I was not about to move the car out so I just rubbed my booty up against the car and squeezed my fat belly by. But it was a bit of an awakening since only 8 short months ago, I could have done cartwheels through the same space! But hey, I’ll get back there. No rush.

At least my man is putting on some weight with me! They were nice enough to let him stand on the scale at the WIC office last week and he’s almost 185! At 6’1” that isn’t a lot but it beats his old 165. It makes him want to stay in shape too so he works out with weights around here most nights of the week. I am still trying to keep up with my stretches. I must admit the last couple of days I haven’t. It’s amazing how it takes me one full day to recover from spending one busy day out.

Our day to the doc’s was long. We had the appointment at 1130 and for some reason neither of us slept well the night before. Probably something to do with this whole bout to have a baby for the first time thing, but who could say for sure. Then the appointment wasn’t over until 1230 and they wanted us back at 130 for a sonogram. We went to the Labor and Delivery department of the hospital to get pre-registered and try for a tour. Of course nurses were to busy then but we’ll go back in two weeks when we have our next appointment and try again. I’d just like to look inside the place before we go in there while I’m in labor. I think it’ll ease both Andy and I. We did get to see the nursery though and those babies sure are tiny when they first come out!

Then we had a small snack before returning to the office. Then after the sono we went to the library to try and find books on delivery with no luck. They sent us to their other library branch but we decided to skip it and just go to the mall. My mom was planning to take us out for a lovely dinner that evening to celebrate our big 5 year marriage anniversary. She came to Denton to meet us but we had a couple of hours to kill beforehand. And I like walking around in the cool mall. Especially when it’s 100 degrees outside!

We had a great time with mom once she made it through the traffic to get to us. Steak dinners are always good. But I couldn’t finish my meat! Or potato. And I didn’t eat much appetizer or salad or anything that should have spoiled it. I think I’m finally at that point where I just can’t fit as much food in my belly. Oh I try. It’s just not going in there! Of course tonight I made a cake and managed to eat two pieces each with a big glass of milk. But I did get a bit of a tummy ache! And strangely I am still hungry, may be the lack of nutrition in the cake.

Anyway, by the time we got home after being out all day, I was wiped. And I was pretty much wiped all day yesterday. We went over to mom’s to help her move her computer and then tried to hang out at a friend’s place last night, but I was having belly cramps and just too tired.

I can’t imagine these stomach pains will last for the last 8 weeks will they?

I am feeling better right this second (I haven’t gotten up to pee yet!), though I don’t sleep well with the pains in my stomach. I had no idea how much stomach muscle it takes to roll over! OUCH! And with a four pounder in there it isn’t any easier!

All is well though. We have our little daily stresses from running the business but we try to keep an overall view of the whole thing and stay positive. We are about to go through one of the greatest experiences in life a human can have, and that’s what really matters. And I don’t just mean having a kid. I mean raising a person. We can’t wait!

Oh, and I’ll put pics up soon. They’re still in the camera but I wanted to go ahead and update with the good news of the doctor!

No comments: