Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What a Great Day!

Yesterday was such an awesome day! We saw a doc, not the same one as last time, but the new one in their office. He was so young! He looked like he could have gone to high school with Andy and me! But he seemed to know his stuff and he answered all my new questions and took a lot of time to get to know us. We’re seeing him again for our next appointment too because he was the one that had the time available we wanted.

Then we went across the parking lot to the Women’s Center and the nurses had time to give us a tour of the Labor and Delivery department. The nurse who gave it has been an L&D nurse for 34 years! She is also the manager of the department so she was very knowledgeable. It made me feel so much better to finally see the place we’ll be delivering. And what a place it is! Each room is like a fancy hotel. They have all the high tech equipment but she said they monitor the patient not the monitors! They have hard wood floors, flat screen TV’s with DVD/VCRs, sit down showers and pull out chair beds and a rocking chair! Everything you could want to help keep you comfortable and relaxed as you labor. And then the delivery happens right there too. There’s also a baby bed in the room where they leave him with you for an hour after birth before taking him to the nursery. Down the hall from the rooms there’s a tub room with exercise balls you can use if need be also! I was so blown away and so was Andy. The nurse asked if we’d been watching too much Discovery channel! I suppose we had because we pictured bright white stale uncomfortable rooms. Of course, if we have to go to surgery for any reason, it’ll look more like that. But I doubt it. We’re pretty healthy!

After the baby goes to the nursery and daddy goes with him, I go to postpartum room where I stay 24 hours. We’ll have our mothers visiting while I labor and then for the actual birth it’ll just be mommy daddy and baby (and staff of course)! Then when he’s had his bath (and me too) and can come see me in postpartum room, everyone can come and visit him!

Also, the nurse who gave us the tour lives in the same small town we do, so we got along really well. Then I mentioned how great the tour was because we couldn’t afford the birth class so this helped a lot. And she gave us a DVD to watch called Birthology! She said it is the best labor and delivery video she’s ever seen! I can’t believe how sweet that was of her. I wanted to watch it last night but after the day we had running around in the heat, I was wiped out and started for bed at about 9. Then I slept through most of the night with one break for a snack and more reading, and then didn’t get up until almost 1! I felt much better today!

The doctor had all good news for us. The only thing is the baby is big. At 31 weeks he was in 75-90th percentile! But that was according to a sonogram and those aren’t always completely accurate. Of course I am convinced he’s big because of all this weight that I’ve gained (I’m up to 161 – shhh don’t tell!) and I swear it’s mostly in the belly. Sure my thighs won’t fit in my old pants right and my booty is a bit bigger, but my face and neck are still slim and my arms are too. It MUST be a big baby, right?

My shower is this Saturday, and I am getting a little nervous. I am very excited, but I have never had a party thrown for me like this and I am not used to being the center of attention. I’ve only even ever been to one other shower and that over 10 years ago so I have no idea what to expect. I am hoping for a small turnout and an intimate gathering of women some with children that can share with me their experiences! I also look forward to getting some cute baby clothes as I know that is the most fun gift for people to give!

Andy and I broke out the car seat last night. We had finally gotten the car completely cleaned out and vacuumed and decided to check out the equipment. It looked bigger than it had at Target. But then tonight after our walk we decided to try and install it. The directions for rear facing seemed very simple and we figured we could pop it in in no time. We plan to swing by the Sanger police station or fire department or both and have its installation inspected as well. But we found that it looks even bigger in our little 4 door Honda Accord than it had on the floor in baby’s room! In fact, to fit it behind the passenger seat, we had to push the seat all the way forward and sit it all the way up! Yikes! Looks like Andy won’t be riding on the passenger side no matter how tired of driving he is! He’d never fit!! It takes up so much room because as a rear facing it is tilted. Maybe that is why people even with only one kid get bigger cars! We don’t want to though because living as far out as we do we already spend a lot in gas on our little Honda, I couldn’t imagine having a bigger car. He only sits that way until he weighs 20 pounds. How long could that be? We’ll manage we always do. Like with most things there will be an adjustment period. I am just glad we got the seat in a little early so I have time to get used to the car like that. I do wish there was a way to put the back seat farther back!

I’ll have lots of great pics next time. I will try and put a few up before the shower and then after the shower I’ll have a whole post dedicated to the shower with the shower pics.

We love you all and keep you in our thoughts. Please keep us in yours as our time as a couple comes to a close and our time as a family draws nearer.

No comments: