Thursday, January 08, 2009

Family, Friends, and the Importance of Them

Heyoooooo Andy here. How are ya? Long time no post, I know, but I normally leave the posting up to Lea as she's much more eloquent when it comes to making a point and sticking with it. Things have been going very well for us over the past few months since Paul's birth and really for a good long time, but I feel like I must start to share my view on things a bit and maybe talk a little about what I am grateful for in life and what I see as to be the meaning of it all. I must warn in advance this post may come off as preachy but I in no way insist you follow my path or words, but to instead take them as an explanation as to how we live our life and why we choose certain paths when easier ones could be chosen.

We've started to attend a local church, one that accepts all beliefs and less about preaching one singular system. It's more focused on the want to learn more and expand your horizons by respecting others' beliefs and while you in no way have to take them as your own, the same goes both ways and your own beliefs will be heard and respected. It's a great, positive thing for us so far and we look forward to visiting again.

Another thing we've been enjoying is our new friends we've met through our parenting groups including Ken and Angie who have invited us into their homes for dinner and great conversations. They also have two children around the same ages as our children and they themselves are more our age and thoroughly enjoyable to be around. There are others in the group we have come close to, but so with time being short for us in our lives, we've hardly been able to get close to any of them as we have with Ken and Angie and we're grateful to have them as friends.

Business for us is going well also. We've been working on our own small business web development services for almost 5 years now and we've not only made a good living doing it, but it's also afforded us things in life like time with each other. We enjoy material items to an extent but nothing in life can compare to the time I get to spend with my family and friends. It is something money cannot buy and I wouldn't trade for anything. I actually traded a very high paying job that was set to send us traveling all over for the opportunity to be home with my family at all times. I would like to quote Luke 12:15 from the bible here:

Luke 12:15 “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a mans life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”


This should be nothing new, but it is a timeless message that gets lost in today's society. It seems more and more people are trading their one time, their one chance at life for material items, sometimes losing focus on what is truly important in this existence. I'm not saying we do not have some fine items, we have a good TV, 2 computers, and other nice items we are blessed to have, but it's important not to sacrifice yourself or time with loved ones to an over extension that leads to the loss of what is truly important. Our widescreen TV won't be coming with us when we pass and we won't be judged on the size of our home. We will hopefully be judged by higher ones and loved ones for our ability to control our wants and greedy tendencies and keeping family and loved ones as the most important thing.

One more quote, this time from II Corinthians 4:18:
“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”


Before passing away in 1603, Queen Elizabeth uttered her final words: “All my possessions for a moment of time.” She had reigned over England, but as death was knocking on her door, absolutely nothing from the temporal world had any relevance. We gnat strain over all of the dramas that the world holds in high esteem, but when it comes to the real issues, many of us are hardened.

I really don't mean to come off as preachy and in no way do I wish for anyone to take what I am saying as a way I wish them to live their lives. It would be nice, but I will love those that live in other ways just as much as if they lived with mine. I think life presents opportunities to not only learn from situations, but to also teach or maybe remind is a better word those that may be lost what might be important in life. You can easily dismiss any of my beliefs and continue on your path and I will love you the same. My words are less for debating and hopefully more for simple thought.

We love you all, and wish you all the best for 2009!

No comments: