Sunday, March 18, 2007

All Over the Place!

I don’t know that he’s completely figured out that he is rolling and getting somewhere but just this morning he started to roll over and over to get to what he wanted. He used to just roll from front to back. Then he learned to roll back to front, so I put him down on his back more often to practice. Then he seemed to stop rolling back to his back again. I actually worried for about a second! I know I know, can’t help it. But today he rolled all the way over, got across his blanket and to the toy he was eyeballing. Oh no – can’t turn our backs anymore I guess! Next stop, crawling!
He can almost sit on his own, too! We practice everyday for a little while and last night he was really sitting on the bed well without being held up. If his back is even just slightly supported he can sit without falling for a long time.
He even sat in a high chair for the first time yesterday! We went to Chuck E Cheese to meet some other parents from the area and forgot his Bumbo, so we decided it must be time to try the high chair and see how he did. Well, he did awesome!

As you can see. So today I am setting up his little high chair at our table. He used to sit in his Bumbo there but now it will stay in the bathroom.
Still not time for solids yet but he can play with bowls and eat frozen breast milk at the table with us during dinner time!
I am really hoping to get a sewing machine soon. I have so many projects and things I’d like to try for Andrew. I can make him clothes with some super easy patterns and cloth diapers and covers and all kinds of things. If anyone knows anything about sewing machines and what is good to look for when getting one let me know please!
His second tooth has yet to break through but I swear today I see a white space where it looks like it is right there! So close. It’s been bulging for a while now and he’s been a little extra cranky today. Nothing bad of course, he’s so good, just seeming uncomfortable. We gave him an afternoon dose of Hylands to help ease his discomfort and he fell asleep! He still sleeps so much! Takes 2-3 naps a day. Andy and I were both not good nappers as kids according to our parents so it’ll be interesting to see if he grows out of this or if he is just a good sleeper!
We are still adjusting to our loss. It has been a rough 2 weeks for sure. Tyler was a huge part of our family and a big part of our day every day! It still feels like something is missing. I know it just takes time, days put together with him not in them to make them seem like normal days again, but it is still hard. Andy and I talk about him every day. Something we miss that he used to do or just general missing him.
Andrew and our favorite thing to do right now is play outside! The weather has been nice more often than not so we’ve been going out on our front ‘lawn’ area with just a blanket and hanging out! It’s so fun to watch him pull the blanket up to get at the grass underneath. No need for toys out there – nature makes the best toys! I take him for walks on nice days too. Carrying him in the sling facing outwards so he can see, we’ll go and look and touch things like trees and bushes and watch the birds flying around. I love these days of nice weather we get here in Texas before the onslaught of the 100 degrees! I want to take full advantage of every single one.
I am planning to delay Andrew starting solids a little longer. I know he will be ready when he is 6 months old but a part of me still feels like it is too soon. Like once you start that you can’t go back. Of course once he starts it doesn’t mean he has to do it every day! He still has the tongue thrust reflex big time so I know he isn’t physically ready but he has such a healthy curiosity I know he’ll have fun with it. Reducing the risks of food allergies is the concern. There’s no food allergies in our families but you can never be too careful. I know part of me just doesn’t want my baby to grow up just yet. But I also know the longer I delay him starting the ultimately better it is for him. I am sure sometime in his 7th month when he is 6 months old, he will get his first table food. But I am not rushing to start it on his 6 month birthday or anything!
Speaking of table foods, the new question is what is allowed during the first year of food experimenting and what should we start with! So many foods are still dangerous during the first year, even eggs they now say to wait until 2 years! For the rest of his first year I am sticking to a very strict diet consisting only of select fruits and vegetables and chicken and beans. During his second year before he turns 2 years old, we will still be pretty strict in what is allowed. It is so important now that we have the knowledge of how the digestive system develops to introduce foods slowly to the new system and allow it time to fully develop before introducing certain things to really fully prevent allergies and tummy aches!
I am already thinking about his first birthday party! Can’t help it. I know I want to keep it simple and have people bring only small gifts like books and maybe even book donations for our library. Not sure yet. If anyone has any suggestions please email me.
I think we want to stay here in this apartment for one more year if they’ll have us! It is too much for us to move all of this junk only one short year after already moving it! Plus it’s about doubled. No matter how much we get rid of we always have more! No rush to leave for us. This place is nice, cheap, comfortable and we are happy here. It’d be nice to rent a house but we need to wait until we are making a little more money first.
Andrew is about the best sweetest baby any 2 people could ask for. I wonder every day what I did so good in my life to deserve such a wonderful family. I am truly blessed and very grateful for what I have!

No comments: