Saturday, September 30, 2006

No Baby No Rules

We felt a ton better this week after seeing our doctor. Not only did he say there’s a good chance we’ll make it through the weekend without any labor, but he reassured us that the other doc in his office shares his philosophies and listening skills so not to worry. He said they couldn’t work so closely and not have those things in common. Also, as much as he said he thought I could make it through the weekend, he said there’s just as much of a chance that I wouldn’t! AAAARRRGH!

There are no rules for birthing babies. There is nothing consistent in any of the stories I have read or heard. I have spoken with just about every mother I know personally and heard their birth stories, most even have more than one. I have read accounts on many webpages from women with babies from this month and from years past. The only thing I have learned - they are all completely different! There is no sure fire way to tell, nothing that every woman said happened to them before their labor began that let them know, this is it, it is time.

So I sit here waiting and hoping for a sign, a contraction pain, bleeding, anything to make me think something might be happening, and it matters not. I could get no signs at all and suddenly start labor and have a baby 12 hours later! Or I could have signs and signs and more signs for a week or more and no baby. Awesome.

I have heard from most mothers that the only thing that is the same for them all is the last few weeks are the worse. It starts to feel like you’ll be pregnant forever and like the baby is NEVER going to come out. Of course rationally and logically, we all know this is not true, but let me tell you, in this moment, it feels like I am going to be like this forever!

My stretch marks have gotten worse since he dropped, though still not bad and something I have great pride in, they are sore and itchy. Once he’s out they won’t be as big of a problem. My tummy is in the way of everything. I can’t do dishes without getting it wet! I can’t bend over to pick things up easily. I can’t sleep on my stomach or lie on my stomach to watch TV or play a game. Sure, I’ve been going through these things for a while, but I feel like ok, enough is enough.

Another sign I think it is time to have the baby is, my maternity clothes aren’t fitting too well any more. Phyllis got me a ton of clothes to wear and they got me through the summer greatly. And even since the weather has cooled off, there were a couple pairs of pants and shirts I could wear that were warmer. But the pants are getting too tight and I can’t wear dresses when it’s cold, they seem to get shorter and shorter! I can’t even wear my own PJ pants, which are some of my favorite clothes, and I had been able to wear this whole time until very recently, nor can I wear my own boxer shorts! I can only wear some of Andy’s. My maternity panties are even getting too small!! And they say one size fits all!?! How can that be when they don’t fit me anymore?

And now I am starting to feel like people blame me for holding on to this baby. Even Andy says to give it up so he can hold it too! Believe me, if it were up to me, I’d have had him out a week ago! I am so ready to get this show in the road.

Actually, we’ve been saying we aren’t NOT ready anymore. I don’t know how ‘ready’ we can be until he’s here and we get it going, be we definitely don’t feel not ready anymore. We’re totally ready to meet him and hold him and see him. Are we ready for the lack of sleep and stresses of parenthood? Maybe not, but is anyone ever ready for that before it actually happens? No. I doubt it. But we’re not NOT ready, that’s for sure!

So when am I having this baby? Don’t ask me. Ask him! Ask nature. Ask God. My body doesn’t even seem to know yet, it sure hasn’t given me any signs. It’s all a matter of him finishing up and signaling my brain to start the process. Though he should be finished by now! He should have his lungs very well put together, he could breathe on his own, his digestive tract won’t be quite ready and he’ll be sensitive to all his senses with his immature nervous system, but thus is the life of a baby. That’s no reason for him to hang out much longer in my belly!

I just keep reminding myself and my loving supportive husband, that it can’t be much longer. The doctor won’t want us to wait much longer as certain risk factors come up. But not just that, nature won’t wait much longer. Baby and I are healthy and I feel that both of our bodies are truly ready for this experience. I even thought that I wouldn’t make it past this weekend. Mostly because the doctor is gone and that figures! But I have been saying since I first heard my September 27th due date that he’d be born in October. Let’s just hope not too far into October! Like the 1st or 2nd would be good!

Keep us in thoughts and prayers and thanks for your support!


Tyler says "Turn off that light!"








Biggest belly yet! This was taken tonight actually and I swear ot looks so much bigger in person! You can see my newest stretch marks coming in on this side, too.






Tyler lounging under a blanket.








Here's Mr Thunder with momma's belly. I posted a pic like this a couple of montsh ago too, so this is a size comparison for those who remember. He's the only cat we're worried might get jealous because of his close relationship with his daddy. Andy has promised to make sure he spreads his attention around!

No comments: