Friday, September 15, 2006

It's Almost Time!

Yes, the time is upon us. We literally have less than 2 weeks until the due date. But the doc pushed my due date up a few days, and he even thinks I could go as early as this weekend! PHWEW! Where did these last months go?

I know we have been so busy there hasn’t been time to stop and think much. I’ve slept a lot too, but I just know I need to get it all in while I can. I love sleeping and that will be what I miss most as a mother!

We are so ready. I hadn’t been completely ready until this week though. I just felt like it wasn’t the right time and now I feel like it is. A lot of little things are in place and the things that aren’t, aren’t important enough to fret over. Like my desk – it will never be clean! This baby is so loved already and so many people are so excited about his appearance. Beyond even his mommy and daddy, who are the most excited of all.

Andy has started telling the belly it’s time to come out. I am visualizing him moving lower and lower into position. And I tell him we are ready for him so get ready for us!

As scary as it is, and I sometimes get this wave of emotion, like a rush of a near accident when I suddenly get a realization that I’ll be a mommy very soon, I am thrilled! I can’t wait at this point.

I have no signs of any labor. No idea if I am even close, which there is no sure sign that labor is coming except water breaking. I almost wish the doc hadn’t “called” this weekend. For some reason, since he said it, it feels more possible and now I can’t stop thinking about it and I want to get ready. But if Monday comes with no baby or labor, I’ll be disappointed! Really though even if he doesn’t make his big appearance this weekend, we don’t have long to wait, so it’s all good.

Andy is the sweetest! I try to explain to him what it’s like to have a little person around. Not that I know or anything, but I have had a lot of experience with babies and small children in my time and he has had none. The other day I was explaining to him how maybe we needed to look in to some big covers for our outlets that have things plugged in in case the baby can pull the plugs out when he gets bigger. Andy says to me, “Honey, I don’t think you understand. I’m going to watch him. I’m going to be so interested in him and what he’s interested in.” He’s said this type of thing to me before and I guess I just can’t imagine it. But I must say, last week at the doc’s office a lady came in with her 3 month old. He was sleeping in his carrier and Andy couldn’t take his eyes off of him. He was enchanted! And forget about it once the baby woke up! He didn’t stop staring at him and talking to him and trying to get his attention until the lady got called back to see her doc! He turns to me and says, “I’m just going to want to look at him all the time when he gets here!”

I must admit I have been worried about how I will find time to get things done around here, like cooking and so on when I have to keep an eye on my little one, but I feel much more confident about that now. I know when I need to be in the kitchen cooking or cleaning up, I can count on daddy to stare at his son and make sure he’s ok. And as he gets older, he can play too!

Now if only Andy could help with the nursing!

He actually will. He wants to burp him between breasts and after feedings. Which will be precious since he has not only never burped a baby before, but he’s only ever held one maybe once or twice! I can’t wait to see him learning all about these things. It’ll be so cute!

I’m almost coming to the accepting place where I don’t feel like I have to be perfect. I’m not going to have a perfect spotless home, especially the first month after baby’s birth. And that’s ok. Even if I get it spotless before we go to the hospital, it won’t matter and it won’t last. I get the important parts done and that’s that. I just worry about when the baby starts crawling, but I know Andy and I will have to take turns following him around and playing with him and cleaning up. Sounds easy and I know it won’t be, but I do feel that we are ready, and beyond ready, desire this lifestyle!

The only thing we don’t have completely ready is the car seat. It is installed and we put it in a better spot after some research, and I feel now more like we have it in right. But we can’t seem to get the one lady in all of Denton to be available to check out our job. We have called her now 4 times in less than 2 weeks. She says, “Just call 20-30 minutes before you come so I don’t go to lunch!” I’ve heard that so many times now but then I call and she’s either not ready that day and tells me another day to call and then not ready that day either or she’s away from her desk never to return! It is so frustrating. We may just swing by the fire department here in Sanger and have them take a look. But I really feel like we have it in right now. And again, even if we don’t get it checked out before the birth, we can still see her and have her check it later.

I want to take my time to enjoy these last few days (maybe weeks) without a baby. Of our lives alone. But I also feel like I can’t enjoy it. I have too much preparing to do! Not just our home and my body but my mind. I am nervous about labor and I try to spend some time everyday researching it and preparing myself mentally. Really I just can’t imagine the pain. I just can’t. How bad can this be? Ask me again when we have the baby home! But for now I just can’t see it being something I can’t bear. But it is my first time so there’s no way of knowing how my body will take it. My doc is confident with my ability though. He says I have a good shape for it and I am healthy. My weight and baby’s weight are good. Should go relatively well. I am just hoping it goes quickly!

Be ready for a phone call or email to come when we are in labor. And please be sure to send positive thoughts, vibes and prayers our way while we are getting this highly anticipated and greatly loved child into our world.

No comments: