Friday, July 14, 2006

Diabetes Week

First of all thank you again for the overwhelming show of support for this child and our budding family! It has been quite emotional for me to see how many people have generously given gifts for the baby. It makes me realize how many friends we truly have and how much love there is in the world. And it makes me feel good about bringing a child into this world. It’s a harsh place and it’s good to know in spite of it all, there’re still people who love you and think about you! This baby will be born into more love than he’ll know what to do with spread all across the world! Thank you all!

Had kind of a scare this week, I got my gestational diabetes results on Tuesday. They called to tell me I was slightly elevated. They like us pregnants to be below 140 and I was 147! A bit frustrating for sure! So I had to go back to the office for the 3 hour 4 stick and draw test. The nurse I spoke with asked if I could come soon and I said of course I’ll come tomorrow! I don’t want to wait to find out any longer than I have to about this one. If I need to give up my one soda a day, I need to know now! And btw – it’s not always a caffeinated soda, I drink mostly fruity sodas with an occasional caffeinated one.

Anyway, she asked that I be fasting so no food after midnight and come in at 830am for the test. What a nightmare! That was the worst part. I couldn’t get to sleep. My belly felt empty like a cavern and started burning and I was too afraid to take even my Tums for fear of throwing off the test. I ended up finally getting some restless, nightmare-filled sleep from about 3am to 730am.

The only good thing was because I couldn’t eat breakfast, I got ready pretty quickly! I wore the new dress I got from Motherhood with a gift card my mom had given me. She helped me pick it out too! Unfortunately, we were too tired to take pictures, but I’ll take some the next time I wear it, probably this weekend. I love it it’s so soft and comfortable and yet pretty!

Andy was sweet enough to get up with me and drive me to the office. I don’t know my way around the Denton very well yet. He dropped me off and I called him after I went back for my first draw and asked him to return at 12.

I brought a bag of things to do with me. I planned to find recipes for the week and make my grocery list, but I was so hungry and couldn’t stop thinking about breakfast, that not much was looking good for dinner, so I gave that up. I read some stories in my Mommy Wars book, a gift from my father Lee and some of my breastfeeding book, a gift from Andy’s mom, Phyllis. I also read in about 3 of the magazines they had there, walked over to the Women’s Center to check out where the baby would be born. I ran out of time so I couldn’t stay and ask if they gave tours yet, but I will see soon. I even had a chance to talk with their insurance office lady about calling my Medicaid plan for a referral. I spoke with Medicaid Monday and they said the doctor’s office could call them for a referral. After about 48 hours, we’d know if they could see me. She said they’d call that day so I should hear about both the test results and possible doctor visit this month on the same day.

I got drawn every hour on the hour after drinking the sugary soda drink, which really didn’t taste that bad. The tech was very nice and good at sticking, so I’m not all bruised and sore. It overall wasn’t a bad experience, I was just so tired. And I am nervous about the results. I was very close on the last one though so hopefully I’ll be in range this time! Keep me in your thoughts!

By the time it was all over, I was so sleepy! But too hungry to think so we went to Denny’s which was the best breakfast ever. I ate the Original Grand Slam and then half of Andy’s pancakes, too!

Then home and back to bed!

I did do some research about the gestational diabetes and it’s not the worst thing that could happen and quite common. I was surprised since I feel I am pretty healthy but apparently that has nothing to do with it. I’ll just have to increase protein intake and decrease carbs. And be a bit more consistent with my walking – which I should be doing anyway! But it’s hard enough to watch the diet when I’m hungry every few hours. And the result if I don’t watch it is a fat baby! Not cute until AFTER they are born! Fat babies are much harder to get out the natural way if you know what I’m saying, so my chances of having to c-section or being induced early are greatly increased, neither of which I want. I need every last moment to prepare for this child. It’s taking me forever to get this place in order!

The summer seems to be beating me down. It is so hot here in the afternoons, I can do next to nothing until the sun goes down. And I can’t go to sleep early and get up early, it just isn’t happening. Especially when Little Andy (as I call him now) is always up and kicking at 2am! I am seriously considering staying awake at night when it’s at least a livable temperature and sleeping during the days. I’m really having a hard time getting a schedule I am comfortable with. I know it won’t matter once baby comes since I’ll be on his schedule, but until then I can’t find a rhythm. I feel so in limbo!

This week has been strange because of the surprise test and I feel like I’ve lost half the week even though it was only one day. Of course I took a nap that afternoon and then slept 12 hours almost straight through (one cereal break and many potty breaks) last night!

The fears are starting to enter my mind. There’s too many to list them all but I will say this. I just wish I knew that the labor and delivery would be ok and when it would be exactly. I’m nervous about the anxious waiting of “any day now” and the surprise interruption. I’m scared of the labor not going how I want and having to get medicated or worse c-sectioned. I’m just not interested in missing any of this!

I’m scared he won’t be easy to breastfeed.

I’m scared he’ll be a picky temperament. I wonder what he will be like! What kind of personality. Will he be just like one of us or nothing like either of us? I just can’t wait to meet him! And mold him finding out what he likes and encouraging it in him.

Andy and I talk everyday about what is important to us in raising this baby. I’m still scared about the moments we didn’t expect and the times we’ll disagree. But we’ve made it very important to keep our love for each other and this family the number one first and foremost thing in our hearts and minds!

Thank you for coming along with us on this journey this far. There’s still a long way to go so stick around!

Here’re the pics for the week!

Whiney-Butt Raven was actually cute this week! He's lying with a gift from Phyllis that though intended for the baby to come, has been adopted by the babies we already have!






Hard to believe this little sweetie wakes us up with loud craggly meows every morning isn't it?







Here's dress from Phyllis also I wore one day last weekend. It is too small in the top! Or maybe I'm too big... Next time I'll put up pics from our trip to the waterpark and you'll see what I mean! I am wearing a tank under this so I can still wear the dress just unbuttoned. It's a good comfortable weight in this deathly heat!




What am I looking at?













More of the tiny puppy! He's hiding in the grass. This grass is not that tall either!







Look at his comparison with a shoe shot!








His sweet little face! They decided to name him Tazz, as in the Tasmanian Devil!







Look out he'll get you!








He loves to attack snadles and feet. Well, hey, it's all he can reach!








I swear this shirt still fits dammit! It may be ripping a little on the inside, but that doesn't mean it's too small!







Daddy's so excited about the baby! And I can't believe my belly is bigger than his head! He has a big head. I imagine the baby kissing him back from the inside!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww i love the picture of andy kissing your baby-filled belly. that's so sweet...and begging for a photoshop contest. :D

and you look so cute with the short hair and preggers, kind of like mia farrow in rosemary's baby. but hopefully your baby won't be the spawn of satan.

---boniter