Monday, May 08, 2006

Halfway There!

Well, I’m at 20 weeks today according to the last U/S measurement and that means halfway there for the average 40 week pregnancy! Such an exciting time! Real growth should be happening from here on out.

I think the baby is a nocturnal. Either that or my gas is worse at night! ;) The only time I really think I feel it moving a lot is if I happen to be up around the 2 or 3 o’clock hour AM! Sometimes I think I feel little swishes at other times of the day but not like the middle of the night. Must be like its daddy!

I swear I felt a full fledged kick last Wednesday. 2 actually! Like little pokes pushing my belly out for a second two times in a row. I just happen to have my hand on my belly because I thought I was feeling inner swishes and then there it was. I’m still not for sure that’s what it was, but I haven’t been able to feel anything from the outside except that. I can’t wait for Andy to feel it. I read some pregnancy forums with women due the same month as me and their husbands are just staring to feel some kicks and they all say it’s so great for them. Like they really get to feel involved finally.

School’s finally done too, so this is a big day for me. I’m not going to worry about grades for the week. They should be posted by Friday and maybe sooner so I’ll check once a night until then and that’s all. It’s already hard to resist the urge! I have so much to do in the next few months to get ready to move and then after the move to nest for the new family member. I think it may take me a couple of days to recover completely from school, but I’m not going to give myself too hard of a time about needing an afternoon nap still.

Here’s a little info about the baby from one of the websites I read about weekly progress. There’s not too much to tell from here on out I guess, it seems to be all done building and now just baking and growing!

Lanugo forms from sebum and skin cells to create vernix. This creamy white
substance is believed to help protect the baby inutero. It will cling to the
lanugo and in the creases. This is also something that can be seen sometimes
after the birth. Rumor has it that nursery nurses use it for hand lotion,
because of its smooth, protect quality.
You may be aware of sleep wake
cycles in your little one. The weight is now up to 10 ounces (283 grams) and the
baby measures about 25 cms total length, about 9.8 inches.

Also this is the beginning of the sixth lunar month – measured by the moon and not by the calendar. If you think about it, 40 weeks divided by four weeks in a month equals 10 months, not 9. The only reason it works out to 9 calendar months is our weird 30 day, 31 day months. So most tracking is done by a lunar calendar. It’s probably one of the most confusing things to figure out when pregnant for the first time! I still may not have it right.

Things are well with us at the home front. Just going to be working and getting ready to move and trying to find a place we can afford. The next U/S is at the end of this month and hopefully we’ll get lucky and little one will show us the goods. If not, I still have the free 3D U/S that should show us. Then, time to start thinking of names!

No comments: