Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Zoo Trip

Andrew's first trip to the zoo was a great success! he loves animals and likes to try and touch them and laughs at them even if they aren't nice to him so I was hoping he'd really get into seeing some exotic ones. Though he is only 8 months old, birthday on the day we took the trip June 4th, he still saw most of the animals and was very interested in watching them. The ones that hid or didn't move much of course he missed but we'll catch those next year. We went to the zoo in Gainesville which is only $5 per person and free for babies so at that price and as close as it is we may go back again this summer to feed the giraffes which happens earlier than the time we arrived.

Grandmother, Meema and Grandma (that's Andy's mom and aunt and my mom) all joined us. We met up at our home around 1030 and headed out together. Gainesville is a pretty short car ride from our place.

As soon as we got there I was of course famished as always and insisted we needed to have lunch before I could even THINK about walking around even a small zoo! I had made a few salads and Grandmother brought sandwich fixins so we had a great spread. Couldn't fill up too much since I was slinging the baby though! But I believe we all ate to our hearts' content with some flies and mosquitoes as our guests. Not too many bites I don't think, not me at least, they don't bite me!

After lunch we headed in to the zoo. It is very cute. Small, kind of a perfect size really for us. We could really take our time and see everything. I wore Andrew in the sling and it was pretty hot so I was glad for every break we took, especially the ones in the shade! There was a nice breeze thankfully. I couldn't imagine being there on a hot afternoon in August.

We saw every animal there even if they were hiding from us! Andrew saw most of them. He didn't get his morning nap that day but was very alert and excited anyway. He didn't do much because he was tired but he was so interested in watching! It was adorable.

After the zoo, Grandma and us got some second lunch and came back to our place to hang. Andrew slept on the way home some so he was good to go when we got there for another couple of hours which was nice.

He ate his first peas that day too! Grandma brought some dried peas with no sugar or salt and he loved them! He's also enjoying apples and apricots in small amounts. Mostly he just likes mommy milk!

Andy was quite the photographer at the zoo. Here are all the videos plus a link to the new photo album I started for family trips.

Caterpillar


Feeding the Goats

I am actually trying to hold his arm so I can pull it away if the goat gets rambunctious, not pushing him towards it as it may appear. Andrew loves animals and just wanted to pet the goat, but I was afraid he'd grab a handful of it like he does with our cats! He didn't, he was very well behaved!

Kangaroos with Giraffes


Giraffes
One is eating the fence. The other comes out to join him.



Little Monkeys



Zebras - short clip of the zebras and some birds


Capybara - this guy is kinda cute. Looks like an ugly pig. He's the largest rodent on the planet!


My favorite by far. Put on your speakers! This little guy seemed to have lost his buddies and was hollering for them!


And be sure to check out the photo album! This is the first pic in the group,


We had a great time! Our next trip will hopefully be to the waterpark in Denton. I've been longing to walk Andrew around the lazy river! First I think we need to take him to our pool here at the complex to get him used tot he water and see if he has any reactions. Plus daddy needs to get some sun so we don't have a repeat of last year's sunburn! Now if only they'll get it cleaned after all this rain....

No comments: