Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Our Big Boy!

Our big boy is growing up a bit too fast but I couldn’t be prouder. I wouldn’t be surprised if he walks before 9 months! But I also wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t. I don’t seem to be too good at predicting…

He is really close to cruising. It seems like he is trying to get the falling down thing first. He has been practicing! He falls and catches himself about 90% of the time with his hands. And even when he doesn’t and he hits his head, if we don’t react too much and he isn’t too tired, he takes it in stride and goes on. He often will go right back to it and try again right after falling. I love his determination!

He seems to be enjoying eating a bit more and his tummy is learning to handle it. I love to feed him but he isn’t so into being spoon fed. He likes to do it himself and will grab the spoon and put it into his mouth. I am going to stop making him purees in the blender. It just isn’t working. I will just cook the veggies and smash them a little and put them straight on his tray. We’re trying to do 2 meals a day. I use the term ‘meals’ loosely. He really just plays but it is teaching him about food. But he always grabs at our plates or bowls so it is better we sit him in his high chair and give him his own food to play with.

I also give him some carrot in the kitchen when I am cooking to “eat” while he plays in there with me. I always peel my carrots so after I peel it I just shave off an extra peeling of the inner part and give him that. He does actually eat some of it, I know because I see it in whole pieces later out the other end.

I gave him some raw red onion the other day to play with and he loved it.

I let him get into the cilantro at the store the other day and he loved it.

He isn’t really eating these things but more of chewing on them. But he definitely gets some of the flavor. I keep expecting him to make a face at such things, but he likes them.

He got some “bites” of mommy’s apple the other day and liked it. Kept asking for more. Well, whining for more.

Speaking of asking, we are still working on the sign language. He is still a bit young to quite repeat it back to us but I think he is learning that when I do X with my hands, X happens. He has got down the picking him up sign and milk sign. Now I am working on diaper, eat, drink and more. He may not be able to do the signs back until he is a year old or so but I wanted to start showing him early so we’d communicate to him how he can communicate back when his fingers are able to make the signs.

I’m reading him Charlotte’s Web. I think Andy and I are having more fun with it than Andrew. Andrew starts out sitting with me then gets bored and starts to go and play, but I still read until a chapter is finished following him around the room. And I am trying to get into the habit of reviewing what we just read about too.

We went to a story time at the Denton library and may go to one in Sanger too. The Denton one is targeted towards babies and starts back up next month. Andrew seems to really enjoy it. I liked learning some new songs for us to sing! The Sanger one is for kids of all ages but I know he’d like that too, he loves to watch kids!

Still sleeping a lot. He’s a growing busy boy for sure! It must be exhausting to pull your whole body weight up! I know I find it exhausting pulling his whole body weight up. ;)

My first Mother’s Day was awesome! Andy took great care of me, cleaning and fixing things and keeping Andrew long enough for me to have an extra long shower. And I got a special card from Andrew that I will keep! I love my family I am so blessed and lucky!

No comments: