Sunday, January 07, 2007

Only For This Day

At this age in a baby’s life they change so much so fast. He really seems bigger everyday when we wake up. He seems to learn some new thing everyday. He has a new noise everyday.

Now I don’t want to slow his process or development or anything but I am afraid that despite his great new standing skill, he may be a little slow to walk or crawl. Why you ask. Well, because I don’t want to put him down! I do put him down a lot through the day but he spends the most time I think just in my arms chilling. We chill at the computer reading, or in the recliner watching TV or Daddy’s computer or Daddy playing a video game. But I just like snuggling and holding him close.

I know too may parents and they all say the same thing, “They grow up so fast,” “they don’t stay little long,” or “enjoy him while you can!” I have listened!

Oh sure we’ll have another kiddo someday, hopefully a few more! But none will ever be the first. And all will be special and individual and none will be this one. And I want to enjoy this one, just as I hope to enjoy each of them, while they are little and will let me hold them while chilling out.

Yeah, the laundry basket is full and there are dishes in the sink. They can wait! This little baby is going to grow again by tomorrow and I need to enjoy him today!

He’ll only be 3 months and 4 days old for one day you know! I don’t want to miss it!

I’ve also been doing some thinking about him being the first and the troubles that brings.

I know babies. I’ve worked in infant care plenty. I also read from the experts as well as from other moms. But I still get lost tons of times. All kids, just like all of us big people, are different. And what happened with and what works for one may not be the same for the next.

Now because of this a lot of times Andy and I feel like we are fumbling through the dark trying to take care of this baby. I already find myself thinking, “On the next one I’ll be sure to do X like this or that.” And just the things I have learned that will carry me through to the next child we have.

But there are many advantages to being the first. One, he is probably going to be the only one of our children with a normal name! This one was for you grandparents so get ready for us to get crazy on the rest of them! Also, since we don’t have a ton of money (and people with multiple kids seldom do or can), we will have to do the old hand me down business. Which means Andrew may be the only one who gets new things a lot of the time and then he’ll give his old books and toys and clothes to his younger siblings! He’s also the only one who gets this alone time with mommy and daddy. Though he may not realize it terribly or remember it later, he will be the only one that didn’t have to go through his infant months with some other child around.

Speaking of other children:

The cutest thing happened today. Andrew has been around other kids so rarely. I think Christmas was his first real awake experience with other kids. The times before he was under 2 months and not totally aware. Today we went to a pal’s home quite a distance from ours so that when we go there we stay the whole day. This pal’s younger sister had come to the house for a visit as well and brought her son. We’ve all been friends quite some time but the last time I saw her and her son I was pregnant so I was really looking forward to catching up. The boy’s name is Riley. He’s a cute kid! But he is startled easily, a little sensitive I guess. Andy even startled him once several months ago when I was hardly pregnant.

Well, today Andrew was hanging out with us and checking out the place. He’d been there before but it’s still all new to him and there were many more people this time than last. He was introduced to Riley and Riley to him. Riley seemed to really like the baby! Then our friend, Riley’s uncle decided to play a little chase with Riley through the halls and ended up scaring him pretty badly. It was cute though. Until Riley started crying. And then Andrew hearing Riley crying got upset and he started crying! It was too cute! Andy and I took Andrew into another room and we’d get him calmed and then he’d hear Riley crying from the other room and he’d start again. Or they’d get Riley calmed and he’d start up again when he’d hear Andrew! It was so funny I couldn’t stop laughing which of course makes me feel bad. But how cute is it that the babies kept crying for each other!

Andrew was also very tired, and in a new place and excited, he didn’t want to go to sleep. It ended up taking quite a long time to get him clamed down and to sleep but once he was there he was good to go. And Riley kept wanting to go to the other room to see the baby! He’d ask, “Can I go see the baby?”

I am enjoying our son as a baby and every day that we have him but I also look forward to the days when I can teach him and talk with him and play with him. Andy looks forward to all of this as well, but mostly he can’t wait to wrestle!!

Check the photo album, 4th month added!

No comments: