Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Finally saw the doctor last week!

And we liked him a lot! He’s not the perfect doctor, but is there one? A little preachy maybe but we don’t mind. Dr Anthony agrees with us on our views of c-sections, and he says he’d rather wait, knowing because of years of experience that labor can take quite a long time. This was a great relief to hear. I have been stressing a little about a doctor who doesn’t feel like waiting and after 12 hours of labor says you aren’t progressing fast enough, time for surgery. Dr. Anthony says he believes in vaginal birth no matter how long it takes unless mother requests or the baby is in trouble. I agree, I told him, I’d totally be into a c-section if the baby’s life was at risk!

We also decided to NOT go for the testing for spina bifida/down’s. There’s no way we could abort this little life after all this time just because of one test that is not always right. Plus the positive result means you need an amniocentesis follow up and those are very risky to the baby, not something I am interested in. Also, it’s a small percentage of cases that actually find any genetic defects. Andy and I think if we have a child with a special situation like that, then we were meant to and we’ll do our best to care for it and keep it happy. We love this baby already.

I don’t know when we’ll find out the sex. He didn’t say and I didn’t ask specifically. Part of me still doesn’t want to know! I really don’t care either way. I just want a sweet baby!

We did have an ultrasound and it was great to see the baby! S/he’s not as much of a wiggler as last time but still pushing around in there. It’s a bummer I can’t feel it yet, but I hear first time mothers have to wait longer to feel movement usually. It got all measured up and is normal. According to the length measurement I am at exactly 15 weeks and 2 days today. But who’s counting right! Only 25 more weeks to go and we have a new family member, look out kitties!

Dr. Anthony also asked me to see an internist for my breathing/allergy/nasal congestion. He doesn't believe I have asthma - neither do I, adn said he'd give me a referal. I am having a bit of a hard time finding someone right now, so I may have to call his office for a recommendation.

In a couple of months we’ll start looking in to some classes for birthing, and I want to do a breast feeding class. I’ve talked to some girlfriends and they say things about when they were breast feeding and I say, really? You have to do that? I know it’s instinctual but I may need some guidance. And it may be early for me to have fears, but I am reading a book about pregnancy ( a few actually!) and I just got through the birthing part. Sounds pretty scary, painful and little gross. Andy keeps telling me to keep my eye on the prize! He’s going to be a great coach!

We’ll be having the little person at Presbyterian of Dallas. I will have a list of phone calls for Andy to make as soon as we get there so if anyone is interested in coming for part of labor or after the birth let me know. Email me or comment should work. If you’re out of state and want a call, we’ll wait until after the baby is out, since I doubt you could make it for any of the labor! ;)

I do have pictures I want to post but due to some computer complications (it’s going to be a big pain to get pics off the cam now since Andy rearranged his PC), we’re going to wait until we have a few more pics taken to get them off. So be expecting a big picture update to come soon!

Here’s a little info about the stage the baby is at right now from two of my sites:

"Your baby may have developed the habit of sucking his or her thumb! The skin is very thin and you can see the blood vessels clearly underneath."

"Fine hair is starting to cover baby this week. It's called lanugo. Bones are getting harder and retaining calcium. (Be sure to get your daily allowance of calcium in!!) Baby can suck his thumb now, and many moms to be, have seen them doing this on ultrasounds. Baby's skin is still very thin, and the blood vessels can be seen through it. By the end of this week, your baby is about 4 inches long and weighs 1.75 ounces."

As for me, I am feeling great. Still a little tired, but I think that is more from the hour lost last weekend, and I’ll settle in to spring soon enough. Andy is doing awesome as well. He’s very supportive. Soon he will start singing to my belly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AW! My mom saw me sucking my thumb on my ultrasound - took me 10 more years to get rid of the habit!

Sounds like you're doing great - give the belly a rub for me!

Chester