Tuesday, February 14, 2006

We're expecting!

Thanks for stopping in at the ol’ Goin blog! We’re glad to have you! For those of you who don’t yet know, I am pregnant. This was quite a surprise to both Andy and I, but we are thrilled.

When we were first together we toyed with the idea of having kids and wanted to at the time, but I suppose my body wasn’t ready and the greater being wasn’t ready for us to have one because we never got pregnant. Despite our lack of “preventing” it.

After the first year or so we realized we were in no shape financially or emotionally to parent, and we gave the idea a rest. A big rest. Even started to plan our lives as if we’d never have our own kids. My mom began adopting grandkids thinking she’d never get one out of me! We considered someday maybe even fostering because even adoption was too much of a commitment!

Then right before the holidays last year, we were discussing raising children and just basically influencing a child’s life someday, and we decided it was something we really wanted to do. I think it may have been something we always wanted; we just knew the time wasn’t right. Admittedly we aren’t in the greatest position right now with me still in school and working part time for eight bucks an hour and Andy trying to get our business off the ground and to a point I can stay home and help him with it more. But our relationship is the strongest it’s ever been! We’ve had a lot of time together just us, almost 7 years! And a lot of time to discuss and come to agreements on things I am sure most parents don’t get the chance to do. We have come to a place in our love where we are beyond selfishness and see ourselves as a team that works together for a common goal rather than two separates that come together on occasion to hang out. I could spend every minute with him. I don’t know that he could with me, I’m the crazy one! ;)

It really couldn’t be a better time for us emotionally, and as I know from many friends and people that I have met through the years, the money thing works itself out. Plus with a kid on the way, it’s a whole new level of motivation for us to be better at what we do.
My dream now would be to not go to a shitty part time job and just stay home taking care of the house and working on the things on our websites that Andy has just gotten too busy for until the baby comes. Now that he takes clients and builds and maintains web sites for them, the ones he built for us can’t be updated as regularly. He needs me! And I want to help.

As for the baby, we couldn’t be happier. I know our close by family is also thrilled, Aunt Tressie, my mom, his mom, they can’t wait to watch ME grow, and then have a new baby to play with. I can’t wait for this adventure. We have no idea what the immediate future will hold. Where we will live. I want to live closer to our moms for the birth, but it’s hard to prove income and get apartments when you’re self employed so we may have to stay here. But one of Andy’s clients buys and sells houses so we kind of have a hook up with that option.

As for me, I am feeling fine. I am scared of what my body is going through, it’s all new to me. I taste metallic blood in the back of my mouth from my increasing blood volume. I have more mucous coming out of my nose and throat everyday than I ever had from my allergies, also from increasing fluid volumes. My boobs have doubled in size, much to Andy’s joy, unfortunately they also hurt! I have the worst gas and my belly is already expanding… could it be twins? And I’m so damn tired I sleep for 9 hours and could still have an afternoon nap, but who has the time?

The biggest unfortunate situation we are in at the moment is the lack of maternity insurance. We signed up for personal health insurance with outrageous rates over a year ago, but the company couldn’t offer maternity something to do with the state of Texas. We would have had to add about 25% to the bill and go with a whole other company to get it, and at the time we weren’t even considering pregnancy. And honestly when we talked about it 2 months ago as an option, neither of us thought it would happen this fast! So yesterday, we applied for Medicaid. We won’t find out until Friday when we see a case worked whether or not we can be approved. I don’t’ think it’ll be a problem because this state takes care of its pregos. Wish us well with that. If we don’t get it, I’ll be on the phone with various doctors trying to find someone who will cut us a deal and work out a payment plan. I’ll let you know.

Thank you for being a part of our lives. Please comment here and email me if you like! We love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Lea and Andy,
I know theres been alot of lack of communicating over our years . Congratulations on your Pregnancy!
I am your cousin, Barbara , I had once had a goinfamily.com link but that didnt stay around long,I am so happy you have brought this one up, and are maintaining it. I love it and the good news , pregnancys always are interesting each in their own ways. Having children is a whole new big experience , having a baby is a wonderful feeling. I will be reading more of your blog tonight,, I only went to two days so far . I love the video ! This is one of my most current pages, and soon I will be updating it also. Meet Your 2nd cousin , baby sara
This is a great way to stay in touch and watch our familys grow .
Best Wishes ,
Barbara