Friday, December 08, 2006

2 month check up

I actually wrote this 2 days ago but the blogger system was down. So here it is a couple of days late:

Well, our Little Mister as we call him may have had his 2 month check up, but we were told he is the size of an average 4 month old! My oh my, what a big boy we have. I really must keep up with my exercises, which I have not been, so I can keep up with him!

He is super healthy of course. He also got his shots. L Made us very sad. He screamed in such pain when the nurse did it Andy and I just held each other’s hands trying to calm down. Then when she was done, and she was very quick about it, Daddy scooped him up and sang to him and walked with him. The two of us got him to calm enough to leave with singing walking and nursing. Such a traumatic experience for us all!

He hadn’t slept much the night before because we all got up so early due to a storm. Any snow and ice in Texas is cause for closings so we weren’t sure if there’d even be an appointment. But we drove home in the sleet and all slept in bed most of the day. He was a little sore but overall did awesome. The next night was rough though. He was obviously feeling the effects of the shots, and Andy and I had a hard time cheering him up. We did get Andrew calm in the tub for a while but you can only do that for so long. He wasn’t so sick he didn’t eat or anything so there was no alarm, it was just the worst we’d ever seen him as far as discomfort goes. We probably should have giving him Tylenol but in the moment we just couldn’t be sure it was the shots that had made him ill and he had no fever. He’s had zero problems since then so now we know it must have been the shots and we’ll give him some medicine if it happens again next time.

He really is such a good baby!

Monday was his first big awake day! He stayed awake for about 9 hours total and that’s a record. Plus he’s slept through the night every night this week so far. He’s stayed awake about the same amount each day since and I am thrilled! I thought at first it was because his Meema came over but since he did it again yesterday I am thinking it is his newest phase of life. We play more now. He isn’t really grasping toys yet, I mean literally grasping with his hands for them, but he seems to like to look at them briefly. Mostly he still just enjoys being talked to. He is also getting much better at his exersaucer but he doesn’t play with the toys on it, just likes to be upright looking around.

Andy and I have been debating what to get him for Christmas. Our family will probably have the tradition of one nice big present every year. Not a bunch of filler gifts from us. We will see how that goes as he grows up anyway. For this first year just one gift is needed. I had wanted to get him a mirror toy and some blocks. But we saw this really neat seat online called a Bumbo. It holds them upright and encourages them to use the right muscles for sitting, and they can use it before they can sit up and long after. Now I am torn about it. It doesn’t seem like much of a fun toy but it may be just the right thing. Andrew seems to love sitting up when he’s held up and in his exersaucer. I have put a mirror low on the wall for him too which we could set his Bumbo in front of if it’s what we decide on. Maybe wooden blocks will make a better gift for his birthday or sometime around 6 months. I do want him to have a set of good wooden blocks to play with so we’ll see. Still trying to decide on that one.

We took his Christmas pictures this week so check the photo album. His Thanksgiving ones still aren’t up but I am going to work on that today so be looking! Plus I have of course taken just some of the sweetest pics of him around the house so be sure to check on the regular album as well.

He is such a joy to watch grow and change. I get so excited for each new phase! He is quite a mellow content baby for the most part. He seems happy to just hang with me in the kitchen while I do dishes or make my morning coffee if I am talking to him. Until he gets hungry that is! And let me tell you a 2 month old that is 14 pounds 4 ounces and 25 and ¼ inches long, is hungry a lot!

No comments: